In this tutorial we will learn how to count Optical encoder interrupts using a DC motor, OLED display and Visuino.
Watch the video!
Step 1: What You Will Need
- Arduino UNO (or any other Arduino)
- Optical Coupling Sensor Module FC-03
- DC motor
- Encoder wheel (with holes) that you attach on the DC motor
- OLED Display
- Jumper wires
- Visuino program: Download Visuino
Step 2: The Circuit
- Connect OLED Display pin [VCC] to Arduino pin [5V]
- Connect OLED Display pin [GND] to Arduino pin [GND]
- Connect OLED Display pin [SCL] to Arduino pin [5V]
- Connect Encoder FC-03 pin [VCC] to Arduino pin [5V]
- Connect Encoder FC-03 pin [GND] to Arduino pin [GND]
- Connect Encoder FC-03 pin [D0] to Arduino digital pin 
- Connect power supply [3-6V] to the DC motor
Step 3: Start Visuino, and Select the Arduino UNO Board Type
The Visuino: https://www.visuino.eu also needs to be installed. Download Free version or register for a Free Trial.
Start Visuino as shown in the first picture Click on the “Tools” button on the Arduino component (Picture 1) in Visuino When the dialog appears, select “Arduino UNO” as shown on Picture 2
Step 4: In Visuino ADD and Set Components
- Add “SSD1306/SH1106 OLED Display (I2C)” component
Double click on the “DisplayOLED1” component and:
in the Elements window drag “Draw Text” to the left side, On the Left side select Draw Text1 and in the properties window set size to 2 and text: STEPS
in the Elements window drag “Text Field” to the left side On the Left side select TextField1 and in the properties window set size to 3 and Y:30
Close the elements window
- Add “Counter” component
Select Counter1 component and in the properties window set Min>Value to 0
Step 5: In Visuino Connect Components
- Connect Arduino board digital pin  to Counter1 pin [In]
- Connect Counter1 pin [Out] to DisplayOLED1>TextField1 pin[In]
- Connect DisplayOLED1 I2C pin[Out] to Arduino board pin I2C [In]
Step 6: Generate, Compile, and Upload the Arduino Code
In Visuino, at the bottom click on the “Build” Tab, make sure the correct port is selected, then click on the “Compile/Build and Upload” button.
Step 7: Play
If you power the Arduino UNO module, and connect the DC motor to the power supply to run it the OLED Display should will show the number of interuptions (count).
Congratulations! You have completed your project with Visuino. Also attached is the Visuino project, that I created for this Instructable, you can download it and open it in Visuino: https://www.visuino.eu