In this tutorial we will learn how to display a Simple text on the MAX7219 8-digit Digital LED Display using Visuino.
Watch the video.
Step 1: What You Will Need
- Arduino UNO (or any other Arduino)
- Jumper wires
- Max7219 Led Dot Matrix 8-digit Digital Display Control Module
- Visuino program: Download Visuino
Step 2: The Circuit
- Connect LED module pin[VCC] to Arduino pin[5V]
- Connect LED module pin[GND] to Arduino pin[GND]
- Connect LED module pin[DIN] to Arduino digital pin
- Connect LED module pin[CS] to Arduino digital pin
- Connect LED module pin[CLK] to Arduino digital pin
Step 3: Start Visuino, and Select the Arduino UNO Board Type
The Visuino: https://www.visuino.eu also needs to be installed. Download Free version or register for a Free Trial.
Start Visuino as shown in the first picture Click on the “Tools” button on the Arduino component (Picture 1) in Visuino When the dialog appears, select “Arduino UNO” as shown on Picture 2
Step 4: In Visuino Add,Set & Connect Components
- Add “Maxim LED Display Controller SPI MAX7219/MAX7221” component
- Doble click on the “LedController1” and in the “PixelGroups window” drag “Text Display 7 Segments” to the left side
And in the properties window set Initial Value to: Arduino!
Note: Text on this Display is limited to a certain characters, so play with it to see what kind of words you can display.
- Close the “PixelGroups window“
- Connect “LedController1” pin Out SPI to Arduino Pin SPI [In]
- Connect “LedController1” pin Chip Select to Arduino Digital Pin 
Step 5: Generate, Compile, and Upload the Arduino Code
In Visuino, at the bottom click on the “Build” Tab, make sure the correct port is selected, then click on the “Compile/Build and Upload” button.
Step 6: Play
If you power the Arduino module, the LED Display will start to display a Text.
Congratulations! You have completed your project with Visuino. Also attached is the Visuino project, that I created for this Instructable, you can download it and open it in Visuino: https://www.visuino.eu